The house that we rented from Terry and Patti Shulman (821 W. 30th St., Richmond, VA 23225) had OLD windows with no screens. Many of the windows were painted shut. But if you opened the other ones mosquitoes would be on their way. Yuck. That's the old house on the left.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Monday, August 30, 2010
Please direct all further correspondence to my attorney, Lucy Ivanoff, at:
Lucy Ivanoff Esq.
9 South Augusta Street
Staunton VA. 24401
Terry and Patti Shulman simply did not return a security deposit that was due to their previous tenants. Perhaps this is their M.O.? In any case, we'll get it back. We have the pictures and evidence. They are welcome to bring an attorney. It won't change the facts of the case!
Friday, August 27, 2010
Dear Terry and Patti Shulman,
I have received the check you sent for the $5 you have returned of our security deposit. I plan to take the issue to court unless you return the remaining $1245.
According to the receipt you sent, you
1) charged us for torn wallpaper. This wall paper is extremely old and peeling at every seam. We are certainly not responsible for this. The move-out pictures show this.
2) charged us for cleaning. The house was spotless. The pictures show this. No mention was made about any needed cleaning at the move-out inspection, or in the move-out video.
3) charged us for yard work. The grass was cut as required in the lease. The lease leaves other yard work to the landlords.
The pictures and move-out video can be found on my blog (just google "Terry and Patti Shulman").
The court will be interested in the above points, together with
1) the fact that there was no move-in inspection, as required by Virginia law,
2) the fact that the receipt was written by Niche Properties to Terry Shulman, that is, from Terry Shulman to himself - but apparently trying to disguise this fact.
If you do not send a check for $1245 immediately you should both prepare to address these points in court.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Friday, August 20, 2010
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Here's what Terry wrote:
1) Repair animal damage to upstairs wall corner bead in bedroom. Four hours labor at $65 per hour = $260 + $25 materials = $285
2) Additional cleaning done to remove food stains on dining room floor and upstairs back bedroom; removal of tenant-added shelf, re-plaster holes and repaint. Four hours labor at $65 = $260
3) Remove overgrown weeds, trees, and vines covering fences, established trees, borders, and sides of house in front and back, remove debris pile. Fourteen hours labor at $50 per hour = $700
One interesting thing is that when Terry Shulman does wallpaper he charges $65 per hour, but he only charges $50 an hour for yard work. Wow, that's a good deal. (Nice work if you can get it).
Item (3) is also nonsense. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the lease only says that lawn care was the tenant's responsibility. Other yard care was the landlord's.
What Terry Shulman and Patti Shulman are doing here is wrong. They should return our money.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
- 821 W. 30th St. This is the house we rented. I posted about it earlier.
- Richmond Department of Public Utilities - my Houston water bills were around $15, here they start at $64 - before you've even turned on the faucet!
- Richmond City Public Schools - there are a couple of good ones - but most are really horrible - and the RPS seems to actively prevent any attempts to offer Richmond kids better options.
- Terry Shulman. He's one of the landlords who hasn't returned our deposit after more than a month. According to his wife Patti he's "in charge of the rental business". They have other businesses.
- Patti Shulman. She's the other landlord who hasn't returned our deposit after more than a month. Despite being named on the lease she seems to want to wash her hands of it, leave it to Terry, and keep our money.
- Richmond drivers who pull into the middle of an intersection when there is not enough room on the other side to cross completely through the intersection. This is illegal - and dumb. There is so little traffic here that other Richmond drivers don't seem to mind. No one honks at these intersection blockers. I do. Hopefully they become chagrined enough to not do it again.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Monday, August 9, 2010
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Monday, August 2, 2010
"1) Extensive animal damage to the outside corner wallpaper and plaster in upstairs master bedroom.
2) Extensive removal of grass and weeds above lease-specified height.
3) Additional cleaning of dirty floors, bathrooms, and kitchen counters"
1. This claim is nonsense. The videos and pictures in the previous posts detail the overall condition of this very old wallpaper.
2. This claim is also nonsense. The grass was recently cut. The height of the grass can be seen in the video; the lease specifies that "landlord shall be responsible for all other yard maintenance" (see Section 14).
3. The house was left at least the condition as when we moved in. Jeanine spent all of Monday, July 5 cleaning. The cleanliness can be seen in the video. In fact the house may have been in better condition. There were extensive cobwebs when we moved in, and any place that was "out of site", for instance, under the wardrobe, was generally filled with dirt and dust bunnies.
We still haven't gotten our deposit back. Based on this email, it doesn't look good that we will.