Monday, May 30, 2011

Terry Shulman & the Storefront Hotel

Terry and Patti Shulman run the the Storefront Hotel in Staunton, VA. I happened to come across reviews for it at bedandbreakfast.com. Most of the reviews sound fake to me but, given our experiences with our deposit on the house we rented from them, this review rings very true:

My husband and I were given a gift certificate to bedandbreakfast.com for Christmas from my sisters. We chose to stay at the Storefront because we did not want to stay at your typical bed and breakfast. We had a great time and were actually commenting on how we wanted to come back again; however, when we returned home, we found an unexpected extra charge of $100 on our credit card. When we spoke to the innkeeper, he informed us that we had violated the "no pet" policy. This was impossible, as we had not brought our dog. We did bring a blanket from home, which most likely had dog hair on it (we have a black lab and he tends to shed a lot). When I called the innkeeper to explain what happened, he refunded the money, but rudely told me that I was never welcome back. He told me that he had to wash the comforter because there was dog hair on it (shouldn't he be washing the comforter anyway???) The website clearly states that you don't have to clean before you leave. Had I known how picky they were going to be, we would have washed the sheets ourselves. We were very disappointed in the way this was handled. We were very glad to have the money refunded but were very upset by the rudeness of the innkeeper. Anyone who has a dog knows that a little bit of your dog always travels with you...